was the very first seaweed extract to be marketed commercially.
While the use of seaweed dried on the seashore as a fertiliser
has been widely practiced by coastal farmers for centuries, it wasnt
until the late 1940s that a young UK scientist Dr Reginald
Milton started experimenting with the liquid extract from seaweed.
After some promising results, Dr Milton joined forces with Tony
Stephenson to further test the product on horticultural crops. And,
in 1950, the pair set up the first manufacturing facility in Slough.
Two years later, Stephenson established Maxicrop
Initially, Maxicrop was sold in the UK, primarily to market gardeners
and fruit and glasshouse growers, and Milton was one of the first
scientists to prove that plants could accept plant foods and other
compounds through their leaves pioneering the way for foliar
During the 1970s, Maxicrop products became more widely accepted
across a range of plants in a range of sectors. Today, Maxicrop
still holds a dominant position in many of these markets worldwide.
In 2002, Maxicrop was purchased by Italian company Valagro - one
of the major suppliers of bio-stimulants, micronutrients and speciality
fertilisers in the world.
Maxicrop’s sister company in Norway, called Algea, are specialist harvesters of seaweed and supply us with the raw materials for our bio-stimulants.
This strength in depth now provides Maxicrop with cross-company
expertise, which we anticipate will lead to the development and
introduction of exciting new products.